This historic building (33 Campbell St) was constructed in 1886 by Andrew Campbell, a timber merchant, who came to Australia from Scotland in the early 1850s. Campbell built 33 Campbell St for Mr John Crozier, a schoolmaster, who conducted a private Grammar School at Campbell St for 10 years. The next owner was W. Ross Anderson, a police magistrate (1896-1898).

In approximately 1922, Andrew Campbell's son William bought the residence for use as boarding house and at this stage it was named Campbell House. After the death of William, his wife Florence continued to run the boarding house until 1955.

Andrew Campbell lived in 31 Campbell St (adjoining house to 33 Campbell St) which he built in 1882 as a private family residence. In 1883, Campbell married Sarah Burns Thompson (granddaughter of celebrated Scottish poet Robert Burns) and the building became their private family residence. Andrew Campbell continued to live in the house with his family until his death in 1889.

Since 1955, Campbell House was used as a private residence until 1980 when the building was restored and transformed to its present state, Campbell St Lodge by owner of the time Harry Soumilas. Campbell St Lodge opened to the public in 1980 to coincide with the launch of the Castlemaine State Festival and is proud to be celebrating its 36th year serving guests in 2016. Both buildings (31 and 33 Campbell St) were classifed by the National Trust of Australia in 1984.

XML Sitemap